Monday, August 3, 2009

Eat Local Anniversary Dinner


This delicious and colorful mixture of summer vegetables with shrimp, served over pasta, made up our mostly-local dinner last night. It was our wedding anniversary - one year ago Dave and I were married on the deck of our dear friends Sarah and Bob's house in the nearby countryside. Tonight I made a recipe from a book called Serving Up the Harvest, by Andrea Chesman, which I bought in Duluth while we were on our honeymoon, so that seems fitting. It's a sautée of zucchini and yellow squash (from my garden and the farmer's market), yellow and red tomatoes (from the co-op and farmer's market), a yellow Hungarian pepper (from the garden), white wine, saffron, garlic, and fresh basil (from the garden). Oh, and yes, some shrimp out of the back of the freezer, slightly freezer-burned. (My approach to Eat Local challenges is always: if it's in my house already, it counts as local!) Fresher shrimp would certainly have been better, but this was really good anyway! The photo shows the final view in the skillet before the sauce was tossed with pasta shells.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mary S. said...

Congratulations on the anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog
tonight from Lynne's ( Hasty
Brook). Ditto on the anniversary
congrats! I commented on your
July 29th post re. the un-id'd
overhead bird. Once I saw the
two-point tail I knew it was a
woodpecker; and it appears as
though the underside of the tail
feathers is bordered in black.
That's why I called it a Northern
(yellow-shafted) Flicker. Just
my 2 cents worth.
Hap in New Hope