Thursday, April 10, 2008

Just Us Boys: Mallards in Spring


These four male mallards came enthusiastically up to me as I got out of my car today, and then wandered away again when I got out my camera rather than some nice breadcrusts.

Tuesday night while walking out Division Street toward the high school, I saw a pair of male mallards repeatedly jumping on top of a lone female on someone's front lawn; she would totally disappear under them. They seemed very into it but I wasn't so sure about her, as she tried to waddle away whenever she was able to emerge from under the ardent pair. I was running late, so I didn't linger to see which one, if any, won the lady's affections.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mary S. said...

Your second duck story reminds me of visiting Caldey Island, off the coast of Wales, when the girls were younger. The island boasted lots of interesting ruins and churches, but the highlight for the girls was sitting in the picnic area watching a very amorous male duck chasing (at great speeds) a female duck who wanted nothing but to get away from him.

Brendon Etter said...

Your second story reminds me of pretty much every junior high school I've ever seen.

Or fraternity.

Couple of ducky Romeos, those two.