Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rhubarb and Asparagus Time

Spring is really here: white-throated sparrows have been heard, the grass needs mowing, the rhubarb is growing nicely (I have a nice, deeply red variety, as you can see in the photo), and fresh local asparagus from Lorence's Berry Farm is now available at the co-op -- and, one assumes, at Lorence's! Had an exalted dinner tonight of salmon and asparagus. Heaven! The canine and feline members of the household thought so too when they received tidbits of the salmon skin.

For more musings on oh-so-welcome spring foods, you might possibly want to pop over to my recent post, and others, on the Eat Local Just Food blog, where the pleasures of rhubarb, asparagus, and strawberry shortcake are discussed at greater length. Not that we have local strawberries quite yet, but it won't be too long now.

3 comments:

Jim H. said...

Our next door neighbors when I was a kid grew lots of rhubarb. They shared it with us and my mom would make pie. My parents also had a large strawberry patch (of which my dad was quite proud) along with many varieties of tomato and pepper. Summer was truly a time of good eatin'! Looking at that picture, I can taste the rhubarb pie...

Unknown said...

Aren't those memories great? My mom was/is more a flower gardener, though her dad had a nice English mixed garden with flowers, herbs and vegetables. The smell and taste of fresh parsley still take me back to his garden when I was five. I myself am much more a food gardener than an ornamental gardener.

Shelley said...

I am hoping to make strawberry rhubarb jam this year! And asparagus and salmon sound divine (my kitty loves salmon too!) :-)