Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Finally, in a parking lot.

It finally happened. Not in the woods, not in my backyard, not by the river, not at a field, but on a driveway and the adjacent parking lot (okay, the driveway and the parking lot were in Big Woods State Park, near the visitor's center, but still...), on Sunday, I finally saw two quite common but utterly beautiful birds for the first time in my life, within five minutes of each other. They were a male rose-breasted grosbeak and a male Baltimore oriole. I didn't get any photos, and I'm not going to go on about it, but twice in five minutes I was quietly ecstatic. And so my resident bird expert will attest.

2 comments:

Jim H. said...

Must have been a scout, because the Orioles don't visit the Dome until August 24 for a three-game series.

You mean a *real* Baltimore Oriole? Nice!

Unknown said...

A real Bull Durham moment...