Saturday, July 21, 2007

Cormorant over the Cannon

On my way to the Farmers Market this morning I stopped to take a summertime photo of the Cannon River for use here. I happened to glance up and saw two large black birds in the branches of the big tree that overhangs the river by the dam at Fourth Street. A little additional observation noted their long beaks and sinuous necks, and a quick call to my birding expert (and dear friend) confirmed my impression that these were cormorants. One flew away over my head, and I got a great view of its yellow beak and long neck. I've never happened to see them in Northfield before. Anyone know if they are a common sight here?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, i have seen them here, in fact on friday by the the falls, by the woolen mills in faribault. they summer here