Monday, April 21, 2008

Warmest Days in Six Months

Yesterday and today the temperature passed the 70-degree mark for the first times since October 20, according to the records for Northfield on Weather Underground (a source which I believe often runs a couple of degrees higher than other temperature records for the area). The weather's been behaving in true leapfroggy springtime style, hasn't it? In the past three weeks, we've seen plenty of evidence for that old saying (which I've heard used about New England and the upper Midwest and probably elsewhere as well) that if you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes, 'cause it'll probably change. If you wanted highs in the 30s and snow, you got them. 40s, 50s, 60s, back to 40s and 50s, and now upper 70s? You got them. Rain? Wind? Thunder? You got them. On Saturday I wore a wool coat and carried an umbrella. Today I needed to roll down my car windows and started wondering which of the warm-weather clothes in my closet are fit for another season (or which fit at all, which is another issue...)

In short, it's been a tantalizingly slow spring, following one of our coldest winters in recent memory. Enjoy the warmer weather while you can, because it looks as if we're back into the 50s by the weekend. But my, wouldn't that have sounded amazingly good just a few weeks back?

No comments: