Friday, August 17, 2007

Eat Local Challenge, Day 3

Tomatoes in glass bowlPart of the delight of eating locally at this time of year is enjoying some of the best of summer produce. I see dozens of people shopping picking up sweet corn and melons at Grisim's corn stand on Water Street every day. I've been savoring tomatoes: this morning's breakfast was thick, juicy tomato slices on toast, with string cheese (Bongards', of course). Yesterday I finished off a pint of some of the sweetest, ripest cherry tomatoes I've ever had. Last weekend I made a batch of simple fresh salsa: just diced yellow and red tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Nope, no chiles, but of course they would be wonderful as well.

There's nothing like eating really ripe, fresh produce in season, grown by local farmers or gardeners who don't need to choose varieties that ship well!

No comments: