Friday, January 10, 2014

Dragonfly at McKnight Prairie - Summer

How about a little respite from winter? I just found this draft post, which I'd started last summer. I was fascinated by the clear wings on this dragonfly that we spotted at the McKnight Prairie, and I spent time trying to identify it but never arrived at an answer. The dragonfly identification site I found didn't give an option for a clear-winged insect with a brown, tan or reddish abdomen, so I was at a loss. All ye odonata enthusiasts, feel free to chime in!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny. Dan Tallman pointed me here. This is most likely a White-faced Meadowhawk (Sympetrum obtrusum). It's a young one, on its way to being bright red. Scott King

Ela said...

Wow ! It's a real beauty. It has a beautiful translucent wings.
great shot. Greetings

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking a look and offering a probable ID, Scott. I will do some reading about this species. (And thanks, Dan, for sending Scott to have a look.)

Unknown said...

Ela, hello and thanks!