Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Squirrels... and Their Watcher

I've been mostly at home, sick, the last several days. Yesterday the squirrels caught my eye... and that of one of the most devoted bird-and-squirrel-watchers in the household (see final photo).

Red squirrel looking out of one of its tunnel entrances under the feeders

Gray squirrel with a face-dusting of snow from foraging

Gray squirrel, finally able to get past the squirrel guard and pig out

Watcher whose body language alerts me that there's something outside

5 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

Great pictures! We love watching our backyard squirrels, too, but they never get so close. Squirrels have very expressive faces! (And cats have very expressive tails.)

I love the header photo, too...

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

With all the snow, our squirrels have been able to jump past the baffles to get to the feeders too. Hope you're feeling better-

dmurray407 said...

Great photos . . .I love feeding the squirrels almost as much as I love my birds!

OutdoorMama.com said...

These are pretty pictures! Looks like you could use a new squirrel proof bird feeder! How are you Penelope? Hope you are feeling better!

Unknown said...

Much better now, thanks! OutdoorMama - I don't begrudge them food when the snow is this deep, and it's only when the snow IS this deep that they can get up there.

I've been scattering food on the ground more than usual, too, and now we have some crows coming right up to our doorstep to partake. Not sure how I feel about that!