Saturday, August 16, 2008

Zucchini for Dinner

Don't worry, I'm not planning to bore you with a daily food journal during the Eat Local Challenge. However, we had a wonderful dinner tonight with a favorite zucchini bake that used up two large zucchini, one onion and a few basil leaves, all purchased this morning at the farmers' market; four huge local eggs from the co-op; and three kinds of local-enough cheese. The dish is flavored also with oregano. You thinly slice the zucchini (easily done with a mandoline), then saute it (I used a combination of butter and olive oil) with the chopped onion and herbs. After mixing the beaten eggs with 3-4 cups of grated cheeses (in this case, a cheddar-jack blend and Parmesan; the original recipe calls for mozarella and Parmesan), you fold both mixtures together and spread the zucchini-egg-cheese combination into the pastry-lined baking dish. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes, or until the center is set. Eaten with cherry tomatoes, also from the farmers' market, it was a wonderful mostly-local meal.

Since I am moving in two weeks, I've decided to make another goal of my personal Eat Local Challenge to use up food that's already in my freezer or pantry. The original zucchini bake recipe calls for refrigerated crescent roll dough (I usually use the reduced-fat version, since this is already a very rich dish); here I used instead some frozen pie crust from the depths of my freezer.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: