Friday, October 5, 2007

Box Elder Bug Season

Box Elder Bugs swarming on garage doorRob Hardy's "season of plagues" comment to my last post reminded me that a year ago I submitted to a photo or two of box elder bugs swarming on the south-facing face of my former house, where my ex-husband still lives. As I recall, Adam Gurno gave it the honor of grossest photo of the week. I haven't seen them quite this thick yet this year, but they are plentiful and rather annoying as they look for suitable hibernation spots. They prefer light-colored, south-facing surfaces -- hence their particular profusion at this location. Here is a page with more information about them and advice on how to keep them out of your home.
Posted by Picasa


Rob Hardy said...

Jim Haas has also posted about box elder bugs on his blog, with one of Bill Holm's Box Elder Bug Variations.

Brian said...

Nice picture of a good box elder bug infestation. Our website has similar pictures except the box elder bugs have been killed by Buggslayer Insecticide.

See the pics and some video here:

Tis the season for Asian lady beetles too.

John Tittle said...

With regard to Brian's comment. I agree the bugs can be gross and I know lots of people use insecticide to kill them, but isn't it true soapy water in an airless sprayer kills them?
Myself I just put up with them. Here's a quote from a post of mine that points out someone likes boxelder bugs.
"This winter, on a ledge in the garage where the electric line comes in I found a big pile of box elder bug wings and legs. What happened to the bodies? Closer inspection revealed mouse poop mixed in with the bug parts.

It appears I have found the table of a feast that lasts all winter. There is someone who likes box elder bugs..."
The post is long, but someone might find it interesting: